Your privacy — and the ability to direct how your personal information is used and shared — is a priority we share.
The websites and the other services we provide may gather information about you. This policy explains how this may happen, what we will do with personal information we collect, and how you can contact Search Engine Land if you have any concerns.
What Information We Collect
Search Engine Land collects your information when you register for any of the content or services offered by our brands, including MarTech.org, Search Engine Land, MarTech Conference, Search Marketing Expo, Digital Marketing Depot, and our third-party sponsors. Our content and services include newsletters, premium content, webcasts, video, white papers, research, conferences and events.
Personally Identifiable Information Collected
The personal information we ask for is what can be found on a typical business card:
- your name
- your job title
- your employer/company name
- your work email
- your work phone
- your work address
We may also ask you to provide additional information about your job role, company, or industry.
To enhance and/or update the information that you have provided, we may combine it with professional and company information from third party sources. The personal information that we refer to in this document is the information you provide, as well as information that we may obtain from third party sources, both of which we typically combine as one user record.
Even if you do not register with us, our sites collect and store certain information automatically using cookies and similar technologies, including IP addresses, the region or general location of a computer or device accessing the internet, browser type, operating system, page view history, and other usage information.
Cookies & Web Beacons
Search Engine Land, its advertisers or analytics partners may send a cookie to your computer or use web beacons to gather statistical information. A cookie does not personally identify you. It is simply a way to know that a particular web browser was used to visit our sites. A web beacon does not personally identify you. It is simply a way to automatically send information about pages and content used to an analysis tool.
Cookies and web beacons allows us to understand things such as whether a particular web browser is spending much time on our sites, visiting several times per month and other types of analysis. If you don’t provide us with personally identifiable information, then your visits – despite us using cookies or web beacons – are anonymous. We don’t know the identity of people linked with cookies. It’s like having a library card but never having to provide your name, address or phone number to check out books. The books are checked out by someone using a particular library card number, but who owns that number isn’t known. If you provide personally identifiable information, then we may link that information with your cookie, and gather the visits with web beacons and understand how you personally have acted when visiting our website.
What We Do with Your Personal Information
Search Engine Land has a legitimate business interest to keep its customers, audience and contacts informed of our latest products, content, and services. We process customer and client personal information and use direct marketing as part of this legitimate interest. Personal information you provide may be used to:
- Send you something you’ve requested, such as email newsletter
- Send you information from Search Engine Land that we think you’ll be interested in
- Send you information from our advertisers
- Target advertising based on your interests
We keep your information safely and securely for as long as necessary or according to your instructions, and we review the data we hold at least once every two years.
When and How We Share Your Personal Information with Others
Search Engine Land may share your personal information to deliver content and services from our sites, affiliated companies and third parties that might interest you; including sponsored content and events, for business operations, and to comply with valid legal processes.
- We need to provide your information to other companies in order to deliver the services you want from us, such as having an email list sent out and managing your email preferences, or to process your event order. In these cases, the information is used only for the specific service you wanted from us.
- We share your information when you allow your badge to be scanned at our events including Search Marketing Expo and MarTech.
We may buy or sell a company or property. If we sell a business, we may transfer some or all of your information as a part of the sale so that you will continue to receive the service being provided to you or for other business purposes.
Your Rights Over Your Personal Information
- You have the right to opt out of our direct marketing at any point. You can unsubscribe from our emails by following the unsubscribe link at the bottom of each email, or by contacting us directly.
- You can request access to the personal information we hold on you, at any time, and we will provide that information within one month of receiving your request.
- You can also request your information to be deleted, and we will respond within one month of receiving your request.
Policy Changes, Questions & Comments
We’ll post changes to this policy on this page. Requests for more information and questions about this policy should be emailed using this form or sent to our offices at Third Door Media, 88 Schoolhouse Road, PO Box 3103, Edgartown, MA 02539.
New on Search Engine Land